🇨🇾 Cyprus

2 residency programs
Non-domiciled taxation
Ayia Napa, Cyprus

Countries / Cyprus / Permanent residence as a retired EU national 🇪🇺

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.

Permanent residence

If you have lived legally, meeting the conditions to stay in another EU country, for a continuous period of 5 years you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence there. This means that you can stay in the country as long as you want.

Your continuity of residence is not affected by:

  • temporary absences (less than 6 months per year)
  • longer absences for compulsory military service
  • one absence of 12 consecutive months, for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, work, vocational training or a posting to another country

Fact sheet


You must be a citizen of a country of the European Union.

As an EU national, you can live in any EU country if you have:

  • comprehensive health insurance cover in your host country
  • sufficient income to live there without needing income support. Income could come from a pension if you are a pensioner or any other source of revenue.

You can stay in another EU country for up to 3 months without registering there but you may need to report your presence. The only requirement is to hold a valid national identity card or passport.

For stays longer than 3 months, some EU countries require you to report your presence to the relevant authorities within a reasonable time after arrival. They may impose a penalty, such as a fine if you fail to do so.


You have the right to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.


You may live in the other EU country as long as you continue to meet the conditions for residence. If you no longer do so, the national authorities may require you to leave.

In exceptional cases, your host country can deport you on grounds of public policy or public security - but only if it can prove you represent a serious threat.

The deportation decision or the request to leave must be given to you in writing. It must state all the reasons for your deportation and specify how you can appeal and by when.

Project by @SlyBridges

© 2020 where2move.io. All rights reserved.